ASBESTOS TESTING IN MANHATTAN, NEW YORK
What is Asbestos?
Asbestos is a mineral that occurs naturally. However, it also poses a serious health risk for anyone who is exposed. Many forms of asbestos exist, and these forms can be found in several different types of building construction materials. Usually, these asbestos containing materials are used particularly in older structures.
The main health problems attributed to asbestos exposure include various types of cancer as well as lung disease. The most well-known health condition associated with asbestos is mesothelioma, an aggressive cancer that forms in the lining of a person’s lungs and abdomen. Typically, these health issues present long after exposure to asbestos containing material (ACM).
To preserve the health and safety of Manhattan residents, local law requires asbestos testing before any construction project. Schedule your survey with our skilled asbestos inspectors in Manhattan today. We have the expertise and training to detect any ACM on your property so that your construction can be carried out safely!
What Materials Contain Asbestos?
There are several types of building materials that contain asbestos. It is not found in wood, metal, fiberglass, or plastic; but it is found in most any other type of building construction materials. In addition, asbestos can be found in both residential and commercial properties. Here are some types of materials that your asbestos inspector in Manhattan may sample:
- Spray fire-proofing material
- Vinyl flooring
- Textured paints
- Many other building materials
Usually, asbestos containing materials do not pose a serious health risk until they are disturbed. Once any type of construction begins, the asbestos fibers are released into the air, where people can then breathe them in. This inhalation of the fibers is what contributes to the serious health complications associated with asbestos exposure.
Because construction projects release asbestos fiber into the air, asbestos testing in Manhattan is required by law before any residential or commercial construction can begin. If there is a potential that the building materials on your property contain asbestos, schedule a thorough survey with our professional asbestos inspectors in Manhattan today.
When is Asbestos Testing in Manhattan Needed?
Generally, asbestos inspections are required by local law before any construction work can begin. Renovations, demolitions, and repair work may all require asbestos testing in Manhattan. If no asbestos is found in the samples, an ACP-5 form is issued so that you can obtain construction permits. Here are the most common times for asbestos testing in Manhattan:
- Ahead of Any Remodel or Renovation
Because remodels typically disturb the existing building materials, they can also disrupt asbestos containing materials. This releases asbestos fibers into the air, where people can then inhale them and suffer the related health complications. Therefore, any building or home renovation requires asbestos testing in Manhattan.
- Prior to Demolition
Demolition projects, like remodels, damage the building materials. Therefore, when a building needs to be removed, asbestos testing must first be completed according to all local regulations. An ACP-5 form is also needed before permits can be issued. Our asbestos inspectors in Manhattan will complete a detailed inspection and fill out the necessary forms.
- Before Repairs & Significant Maintenance
Every residential or commercial structure eventually needs repair work. Whether electrical, plumbing, or other repairs are needed, there is a potential to disturb ACM. Even a small repair job can release asbestos fibers into the air. Because of this, asbestos testing is required before any repairs begin in Manhattan, NY.
When there is a potential that ACM could be disturbed during any remodel, repair, or demolition, asbestos testing in Manhattan is necessary. Our Certified Asbestos Investigators at MKM will provide quick, accurate asbestos inspections for any Manhattan property.
Our Process for Asbestos Testing in Manhattan
At MKM Environmental Consulting, we make a point to keep asbestos testing in Manhattan easy and understandable. We want you to be comfortable and informed throughout the entire process. For your convenience, we have outlined our inspection process below.
- Free Estimates: First, you will need to give our team a call. On the phone, we can begin to understand your asbestos testing needs, and we can provide a FREE estimate. Then, we will review your work plans and move on to the surveying step.
- Survey: While taking samples of materials that may contain asbestos, we follow every safety guideline. We also make a point to collect samples from inconspicuous areas so that we are not diminishing the aesthetics of your property. At MKM, our asbestos inspectors are skilled to perform the highest quality sampling strategies.
- Analysis: After we collect your material samples, we send them for analysis at a third party ELAP certified lab. Here, they perform thorough examinations of your samples.
- Report Review: Once the laboratory has completed their analysis, they send us a report of all of the findings. Our professional asbestos inspectors in Manhattan look over this report and take note of any problems.
- Form Completion: If your samples are free of asbestos or indicate that asbestos is found below 10 square feet, we issue the ACP-5 form. This allows you to receive permits for construction. However, if the samples are found to contain asbestos, then you will be required to hire an abatement contractor. They will safely remove the contaminated materials and issue the ACP-21 form so that you can apply for permitting.
- Post-Survey Consultation: After receiving and reviewing your analysis report, we will discuss the findings with you. Whichever results are found, our asbestos inspectors are skilled and qualified to guide you through the next steps after your asbestos testing in Manhattan.
For dependable asbestos testing in Manhattan, you need the professionals at MKM Environmental Consulting. We are licensed and insured, with a proven track record for reliable asbestos inspections throughout Manhattan. We always keep the process simple and service quality high! Give us a call today.
We Are Your Premier Choice for Asbestos Testing in Manhattan, NY
When disturbed, asbestos can become a significant health hazard. To protect residents and employees from life-altering lung diseases and cancers, asbestos testing in Manhattan is essential before any construction project. Because asbestos containing material can be found anywhere (from tiles to shingles to insulation) in any residential or commercial structure, you need a professional asbestos inspector to identify ACM on your Manhattan property.
We want every inspection to be streamline and effective, which is why we keep our process simple. Starting with an estimate and survey, then throughout the analysis and form completion, we’ve got you covered. At MKM Environmental Consulting, we offer the most thorough, reliable asbestos testing in Manhattan. We also complete the ACP-5 form needed for construction permits.
Keep everyone safe from the hazards associated with asbestos exposure during your construction project. Give the asbestos inspectors of MKM Environmental a call today to schedule your professional asbestos testing in Manhattan, NY!