ASBESTOS TESTING IN NEW YORK CITY
What is Asbestos?
Asbestos is a naturally-occurring mineral that is known for causing serious health problems after exposure. There are many forms of asbestos, and they can be found in many of the materials used for building and home construction, especially in older structures.
Health problems associated with asbestos exposure include various types of cancer, as well as severe lung diseases. One of the most common health problems due to asbestos is mesothelioma, an aggressive type of cancer that develops in the lining of the lungs or abdomen. These health issues typically occur long after exposure to the asbestos containing materials (ACM).
Asbestos testing in New York City is vital and required by local regulations to preserve the health of residents or employees in the area. To protect anyone who lives or works on your property, contact our asbestos inspectors today. We have the experience to properly detect any ACM and help you safeguard your property.
What Are Different Types of Asbestos Containing Material?
Many types of building construction materials contain asbestos. Any materials besides wood, plastic, metal, or fiberglass may have asbestos. ACM can be found in any type of structure, including both residential and commercial locations. Some types of asbestos containing material that an asbestos inspector in New York City may identify include:
- Vinyl flooring
- Textured paint
- Roofing shingles
- Spray fire-proofing materials
- Many additional types of building materials
Typically, these asbestos containing materials do not cause adverse health effects at rest. However, when the ACM is disturbed, it releases asbestos fibers into the air. Then, people in the area inhale these fibers. This inhalation of asbestos can cause serious health complications.
Because fibers are released when asbestos is disturbed, asbestos testing in New York City is necessary before any commercial or residential construction begins. If you suspect asbestos containing material is on your property, schedule an asbestos inspection in NYC today.
When is Asbestos Testing in New York City Necessary?
In general, asbestos testing is necessary before any construction can begin. This includes any type of renovation, demolition, plumbing, and electrical work or repair. An asbestos survey needs to be conducted before any construction activities begin. If no asbestos is found, an ACP5 form can be issued. Here are common times for an asbestos inspection:
- Prior to Renovations & Remodels
When a property owner is considering renovations, asbestos testing in NYC is required. If there is potential that asbestos containing material can be found in the building, all testing must be performed before construction begins. Remodel projects can disturb the ACM, releasing asbestos fibers into the air. Therefore, any renovation or remodel requires an asbestos inspection in New York City.
- Before Demolition Begins
Similarly to renovations, asbestos testing in New York City must be performed before any building demolition. When a building needs to be removed, asbestos testing must be completed according to all regulations beforehand. You will also need an ACP-5 form, which we can readily provide after a clean asbestos inspection at your NYC property.
- Ahead of Repair Work
Sometimes buildings need repairs. However, when these buildings or homes may have asbestos containing material, then asbestos testing in NYC must be completed beforehand. Even minor repairs may disturb the ACM, causing asbestos fibers to enter the air. To prevent health hazards, asbestos testing in New York City is essential.
Anytime that there could be potential to damage ACM, asbestos testing should be performed by a Certified Asbestos Investigator, such as members of our team at MKM. This prevents health hazards and allows the construction to follow all local regulations and codes.
Our Asbestos Testing Procedure in NYC
At MKM Environmental Consulting, we ensure the asbestos testing process in NYC is simple and understandable. From the initial preparations through ACP-5 forms and the recommendations at the end, our professional asbestos inspector will keep you informed. To better understand our process, we have outlined it below.
- Estimates: First, give us a call. We will talk with you on the phone about your asbestos testing needs for your New York City location. At MKM, we provide a FREE estimate for asbestos testing. Then, we can review your work plans and move to the survey step
- Survey: During potential asbestos sampling, we follow the safest procedures to collect samples from your building materials. We always try to take samples from areas that will not impact the aesthetics of your property. Our asbestos inspectors in NYC are trained and experienced to use the highest standard sampling techniques.
- Testing: Once we have collected your samples, we send them to a third party ELAP certified laboratory for analysis.
- Report Review: After the lab finishes their analysis, they will send us a report of the findings. Our asbestos inspectors in New York City will carefully review each section of the report, taking note of any issues.
- Forms: If no asbestos is found in the samples, we issue the ACP-5 form. The ACP-5 form states that no asbestos was found on your property or that the asbestos found is below 10 square feet. ACP-5 allows you to continue the process for renovation permits and construction. When asbestos containing material is found, you will need to hire an abatement contractor to remove the ACM. Then, you will have to obtain an ACP-21 form from the Department of Environmental Protection, which can be issued by your abatement contractor.
- Post-Testing Consultation: When we have received the lab report and reviewed it, we will then discuss our findings with you and provide recommendations on how to proceed. Our team is trained to provide the necessary direction once your asbestos testing in New York City is complete.
When you need reliable asbestos testing in NYC, the MKM Environmental Consulting team is here to help! We are licensed and insured asbestos inspectors, and we have a thorough understanding of the regulations regarding asbestos testing in New York City. We keep our process simple so that you can be certain you understand every step along the way.
MKM is Your Expert for Asbestos Testing in New York City
Asbestos can be a significant health hazard. To prevent severe lung disease and dangerous cancers, asbestos testing in NYC is essential before any commercial or residential construction project. Asbestos can be found in many types of building materials, including tile, shingles, insulation, fire protection, and more. An asbestos inspector can identify any ACM on your property.
To ensure our procedure is streamline and effective, we stick to a simple process. From initial estimates and sampling to testing and review, we will provide the most professional, detailed asbestos inspection in NYC. We can also complete the necessary ACP-5 form to begin your permitting process.
Before your building construction, make sure everyone is protected from the hazards associated with asbestos exposure! Call the asbestos inspectors at MKM Environmental Consulting today for thorough asbestos testing in New York City.